Sponsor

Sunday 2 December 2007

Wholefoods

Exercise: Resting
Food: Water fast

Yesterday had to go to Kensington for an event, so decided to pop into Wholefoods on my way home. I wanted to check out whether they had the sun-dried coconut, and flaxseed crackers. Well as it happened they had neither, you lovely rawies in New York are well and truly spoilt.

Although I have to admit that the store here is amazing. I must have spent an hour browsing and it's not like it was my first visit. I spent ages in the produce section looking at the different varieties of apples (got some french ones, Sonya and Jazz), the different types of chard, mushrooms, mangos etc. I made a mental note not to go wild as I had already done my food shopping. Bought some guavas to emulate the smoothie from Tate Modern, but will be using clementines instead of mandarins. I bought a few Lara bars, but it would be more economical if I buy direct from website, plus some fennel that I couldn't find in Sainsbury's for a soup I'm trying out. I also saw Jicama, a starchy vegetable, never had it before, but the write up said it is eaten mainly raw with lemon juice and salt. Think I'll try it with guacamole.

The abundance of choice is phenomenal and the combination and recipe possibilities are endless. Certainly here, lack of produce is not an issue, what with the supermarkets, greengrocers, pick-your-own, farmer's markets, speciality and ethnic food stores, and of course the trusty Internet. And Wholefoods is in a category all of it's own. The salad bar deserves an award. Okay if one of your excuses was don't know where to get stuff, I think I just anihilated that one.

No comments:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

About Me

London lass, urban dweller, raw adventurer, nature-lover, much travelled, truth-seeker ...