Sponsor

Sunday 6 January 2008

Food Attachments

Food: Banana and acai berry smoothie (the 'chocolate' shake) this made about 2 and a half pints so had it in three instalments (nine bananas and two sachets of frozen acai), had couple of handful of dates through the day as well and 1 fuji apple

I was chatting to my sis about the various food attachments we've had. Some of mine were
- haagen daaz ice cream for some reason they were always 2 for a fiver at Sainsbury's. So from becoming the odd treat. It became a nearly every evening affair (and I wasn't even a dessert person) eating half a tub at a time. And then I discovered if I put a couple of dollops on my morning porridge it would be nice and creamy. It really was comfort eating. Although on the whole I had - within the bounds of the knowledge I had then - a healthy diet, lots of stir-fries, only brown rice, wholegrain pasta etc
- I also found these biscuits (when I turned vegan) that were just honey, oats and palm oil (ie non-hydrogenated) so they were 'healthy' and vegan. They would be my treat at the weekend but I would buy a packet about 10 biscuits in a pack they were thick and chewy, and would polish it off at one sitting or at least within the hour. Before you knew it I was up to four packets in a weekend! I actually decided to hit that nail on the head pretty quickly.
-Bread! I used to eat so much bread. I hated white sliced but could get through a wholegrain uncut loaf pretty swiftly with spread and jam, or a baguette dipped into sun-dried tomato paste. Then when vegan it was either California sourdough or wholegrain rye with coconut oil. At restaurants I'd always have a bread board or basket in fact I was often full on that before my main came.

And everybody who is moving forward in their health (including rawies) has stories like these in their past, some it will be a cheese or chocolate fetish or a serious red meat habit but they are there whether completely slain or still being conquered. That is the beauty that things can change, and it doesn't matter if you fall or fail you can just get right back up. And you can also if you choose if you want to intentionally eat these foods, they may not necessarily be the best choice for where you want to go/be but still a valid choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmm....acai! i forgot about that yummy stuff!

It's interesting, that we have attachments to food. I'm realizing that it's not bad to have a treat, but like you said, it's how much we eat. One cookie or a little ice cream as a special treat is one thing w/the rest of your diet being raw, live foods. But, we will sit and "polish off" as you said a whole tub every day! Not healthy! Is there a happy medium?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

About Me

London lass, urban dweller, raw adventurer, nature-lover, much travelled, truth-seeker ...