Sponsor

Saturday 2 February 2008

Own Your Own Thoughts

Exercise: Run
Food: 9 bananas, Two salads - spinach, mushroom, carrot, seaweed, potato, tofu, broccoli, raw fruit and nut bars

I'm reading a book by Dr Henry Cloud, 'Changes that Heal'. And it is so enlightening. It's confirming some stuff that I was aware of intuitively and also opening up whole new insights. It's so great reading about 'boundaries'. This was highlighted to me in a recent incident where someone would not own their own reaction to events but wanted me to take ownership of it.

That is something I may have got caught up with in the past but I'm much more intentional now about letting people take ownership of their own feelings and behaviours. And taking ownership of my own. If people keep trying to dump on you by making you responsible for their feelings, they have over-reached their boundaries and crossed into yours. And if you don't hand the dump right back and let them own their own thoughts, feelings, assumptions etc you just enable that abusive behaviour to continue (instead of allowing them to have consequences that can lead to an inclination to change said behaviour). A lose lose situation for both parties.

There are similarities when you change your eating behaviour. People may feel threatened, confused, worried etc Of course you want to have a way of respectfully explaining your adventure but ultimately they will have to work through their thoughts and feelings on the matter. As indeed we must be present in what we are doing, know why we make certain choices and how they serve us or not. I remind myself that to get my needs met I need to make my needs known. The response I get could vary, but my feelings on the matter are my own responsibilty.

Many do say when you eat raw you become more emotionally aware, and stuff that you've buried from the past can start rearing up as well, things and behaviour you tolerated before in others and yourself simply become intolerable. This is partly to do with the fact that we like to avoid pain so we sedate ourselves with lots of cooked and junk food, refuse to reflect on our lives, and we don't seek help and take responsibility for dealing with our our emotional wounds. But on a positive note we can always decide to do things differently!

No comments:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

About Me

London lass, urban dweller, raw adventurer, nature-lover, much travelled, truth-seeker ...