Sponsor

Wednesday 23 April 2008

Falafel, Fog and Fulfilment

Exercise: Escalators
Food: Just water

On Sunday had some falafel and potato you wouldn't think it would have that much of an impact but whoa.. It wasn't so much the physical reaction, there was some discomfort and it repeated on me constantly all the next day, plus I absolutely did not want to get out of bed in the morning even contemplated a sickie, as if! But shows the effect. It was a kind of low-level emotional discontent that seemed to hover over me, that I really didn't like! I have to really make sure I don't run out of bananas!! I find that bananas in the supermarkets are unripe and cold , so you have to allow quite a bit of time for ripening. They are my staple and if I'm completely out of fruit, or what I have is still unripe it can really throw me off kilter. So I've loaded up on mangoes and bananas as they are my foundational foods.


I had nuts all last week, not huge amounts but everyday and mostly unroasted cashews which are not really raw, mixed with some almonds so that might be why I was feeling very sleepy in the evenings. Anyway will experiment and see.

I didn't feel hungry at all on Monday but still ate some fruit and salad out of habit, but I could tell my body needed some TLC so decided to take a break yesterday and will continue until I feel properly hungry.

All good and helps me to observe and learn. It really drives home how complicated we've made our lives. Although there are a lot of things that can affect our health, what we eat has got to be one of the biggies, not just because of the physical effects of emotional eating, the eating to excess, the eating of processed/unatural foods etc but it is also the effect on us spiritually, emotionally and mentally which can lead to a lot of fogginess and persistent harmful behaviours in other areas of our lives. It is quite something finding order, balance and harmony in our eating, but the rewards (and they come quickly) are soooo worth it. It's probably a dance we will do all our lives.

Annelise, writing in Pear magazine online (you can subscribe through the gardendiet.com, see links) says,

"....What keeps me going every day is the amazing energy, mental stability, and spiritual connectedness that I feel when I quell society's voice, when I subdue my carnal appetites, when I instead listen to that subtle pull of instinct within me. And I have found so much peace and fulfillment, that steaks and donuts could never, ever bring!"

It's so true and I wholeheartedly agree, although for me it wasn't steaks and donuts, it was flapjacks, sourdough bread and big bowls of pesto pasta and vegetables, not all at once! But that was healthy for me once upon a time with the knowledge and intention I had then. And that's what it's all about working with the knowledge and intention you have at any given time, while keeping an open and searching mind. It just keeps evolving.

Your values and your desired outcome will help shape your particular journey. In the same way my values and passion for health are shaping mine. I have a vision for a healthy world, I think I always had it but didn't necessarily recognise the scope. I think we all had a vision before we are born and then we get to discover it as we grow. Coolio.

Check this out, http://www.runningraw.com/ one man living out his inspiring vision in this big, wide world.

No comments:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

About Me

London lass, urban dweller, raw adventurer, nature-lover, much travelled, truth-seeker ...